International Essay Writing Competition
About RGNUL, Punjab
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL) Punjab is a premier educational institute. It has been established by the State Legislature of Punjab by Punjab Act No.12 of 2006. The University acquired approval of the Bar Council of India (BCI) in July 2006. In 2007 the University got registered with the University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi under Section 2(f) of the UGC, Act, 1956. The University has been Accredited with ‘A’ Grade by NAAC in 2015.
About RGNUL Exagium 2017: Essays on Classics
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab, India announces International Essay Writing Competition-Exagium 2017- for Undergraduates, Postgraduates and Research Scholars across disciplines. With an objective to enhance the reading and writing skills of the students, RGNUL Exagium 2017 attempts to engage the undergraduates and postgraduates in the reading of Classics. The classics penned by eminent authors and personalities imply continuance and consistence. The reading of such texts is of great significance to the young people as they get enlightened about various issues. It also enables them to understand the contemporary times.
RGNUL Exagium 2017 provides a challenge to the reading, comprehending and writing skills of the students. Using the primary and secondary sources, the participants shall write an analytical essay* on the selected classic. Participants shall give an appropriate title to the Essay on the selected text. The essay must focus on the thematic concerns of the writer.
- Essays must be original, logical and coherent.
- Essays should not be summaries.
- Essays should discuss the major issues/themes of the text.
- The analysis of the text must be supported with proper evidence and personal response.
The participants will select a book from the list given below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|The Stranger||Albert Camus|
|The Nicomachean Ethics (Book-II)||Aristotle|
|The Crucible||Arthur Miller|
|Oliver Twist||Charles Dickens|
|Wuthering Height||Emily Bronte|
|The Trial||Franz Kafka|
|The Brothers Karamazov||Fyodor Dostoyevsky|
|Nineteen Eighty four||George Orwell|
|The Potrait of a Lady||Henry James|
|Heart of Darkness||Joseph Conrad|
|War and Peace||Leo Tolstoy|
|Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland||Lewis Carroll|
|A Vindication of the Rights of Woman||Mary Wollstonecraft|
|The Picture of Dorian Gray||Oscar Wilde|
|Storytelling for Lawyers||Philip Meyer|
|The Home and the World||Rabindranath Tagore|
|The Serpent and the Rope||Raja Rao|
|Law and Literature||Richard A. Posner|
|The Guide||RK Narayan|
|Waiting for Godot||Samuel Beckett|
|That Long Silence||Shashi Deshpande|
|The Second Sex||Simone de Beauvoir|
|The Mayor of Casterbridge||Thomas Hardy|
|Leaves from My Personal Life||V.R. Krishna Iyer|
|A Room of One’s own||Virginia Woolf|
Eligibility Criteria and Rules for the Competition:
- The competition is open to the students pursuing Undergraduate (BALLB/ BA/B.Sc./B.Com/BBA/B.Tech/MBBS) or any other Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses (MA/LLM//MSc./MPhil/PhD) in any University/College across the globe.
- Only original essays on the selected text that have not been published or have not been accepted for publication should be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org ❖ Plagiarism of any form shall result in disqualification.
- No identification marks must be found in any part of the essay.
- Registration form can be downloaded from the University website www.rgnul.ac.in
- The Essay must be type-written in English, in Times New Roman, 12 font size and 1.5 line space.
- Word limit for the Essay is 1000-1500 words.
- The Essay must be submitted in MS-Word format.
- No Registration Fees for RGNUL Students.
- The students of RGNUL shall not be eligible for prizes but the best entries shall be felicitated with Certificates of Merit.
- Soft Copy submission of Essay, Registration Form, Institutional ID and Demand Draft/ereceipt on or before 14th April 2017.
- Hard Copy submission of Essay, Registration Form, Institutional ID and Demand Draft/e-receipt on or before 21st April 2017.
- Late Entries shall not be accepted.
- Only two co-authors shall be allowed.
- The University shall publish the essays recommended by the Experts in a Book with an ISBN number.
- Authors shall receive a copy of the Book.
- Certificates of Participation shall be given to all the authors.
- International participants must mail the Soft Copy only.
- E-Certificates shall be mailed to International participants.
|National Participants||:||Rs. 1000 per entry|
|Rs. 1500 (In case of co- authors)|
|International Participants*||:||20 USD per entry : 25 USD (for co-authors)|
|Mode of Payment (Offline)||:||Demand Draft in favour of Registrar, RGNUL,
Punjab, payable at Patiala
|Mode of Payment (Online)*||:||https://www.onlinesbi.com/prelogin/icollecthome.htm|
- Online Portal shall remain active from 2nd February 2017 (11:00 am) to 14th April 2017 (11:00 pm)
- International Students must communicate on the Official Email-ID i.e. email@example.com prior to the transaction for the Swift Code
Guidelines for Submission
- Online Registration Form available from 2nd February 2017.
- Soft Copy of the Essay, Scanned Copies of the filled Registration Form, Institutional ID
- Proof and Demand Draft/e-receipt to be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hard Copies of the Registration form, Essay, Photocopy of Institutional ID Proof and Demand Draft/e-receipt must be sent through Registered Post only.
- Entries must be addressed to:
DR.NAVLEEN MULTANI, COORDINATOR
RGNUL EXAGIUM 2017
RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LAW, PUNJAB,
BHADSON ROAD, SIDHUWAL, PATIALA – 147 006 (INDIA)
Important Dates for Submission
|Soft copy of Essay, Registration Form & scanned copy of ID Proof, DD/e-receipt||14th April 2017|
|Hard copy of Essay, Registration form, Photocopy of ID Proof & DD/e-receipt||21st April 2017|
|Declaration of Result||4th Week of May 2017|
- Prize Cheques and Certificates of Merit shall be awarded to 3 best essays.
- Certificates of Participation shall be given to all Authors.
- 1st Prize: 7000INR
- 2nd Prize: 5000INR
- 3rd Prize: 3000INR
- Result shall be displayed on the university website www.rgnul.ac.in
- Winners shall be intimated through e-mail and on their mobile numbers.
Professor (Dr.) Paramjit S. Jaswal Professor (Dr.) G.I.S. Sandhu
RGNUL Punjab, India RGNUL Punjab, India
Dr. Tanya Mander, Assistant Professor of English
Ms. Geetika Walia, Assistant Professor of Law
Ms. Gurmanpreet Kaur, Assistant Professor of Law
Dr. Navleen Multani, Assistant Professor of English, RGNUL Punjab
Contact/Queries: 0175-2391200, 09878200051
RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LAW, PUNJAB, INDIA
(Established under Punjab Act No. 12 of 2006)
(Accredited with ‘A’ Grade by NAAC)
RGNUL Exagium 2017 International Essay Writing Competition
Title of the Essay
Name of the Participant/Author
Name of the University/Institution
Nationality E-mail Id
Address for Correspondence
Co-author Details (Name)
Name of the University/Institution
Address for Correspondence
DD / Reference No. /Date
Signature of Participant *Registration fees:
National Participants: Rs. 1000 for Single Author; Rs. 1500 (In case of co- authors)
International Participants: 20 USD per entry; 25 USD (for co-authors)
International Students must communicate on the Official Email-ID i.e. email@example.com prior to the transaction for the Swift Code