What is Period Poverty?
Research suggests that 70% of Indian women’s families cannot afford to buy sanitary pads, which is why only 12% of women in India use sanitary pads during their period. The remaining 88% are compelled to resort to unsanitized cloth, ash and husk sand thereby causing severe reproductive health problems for them. Moreover, most government schools lack common toilets or functional separate toilets equipped with period friendly facilities for girls owing to which at least one in five girls drops out of school at the onset of her period and those who persist typically miss five days of school each month due to inadequate menstrual protection. (more…)